The Department of Chemical Engineering (DChE) offers graduate and undergraduate programs in chemical engineering and has active participation
in the interdisciplinary graduate programs in energy engineering and environmental engineering. It has 29 full-time and 4 part-time faculty members and produces about a hundred chemical engineers every year.
Internship at the Department of Chemical Engineering of UP Diliman admits advanced students who would want to gain supervised practical experience in many aspects of the development, production, deployment of academic technologies or On-the-Job Training (OJT) – operationally the same as Internship.
Benefits to Student Interns
- Exposure to real-world challenges hardly found in textbooks and classroom settings
- Opportunity to work with teams coming from diverse backgrounds (like computer science, film, education, computer engineering, library science, information technology, statistics)
- Greater adaptability, self-confidence, professionalism, skills
- Opportunity to work on projects or applications that will be deployed or used by UP constituents (as opposed to merely producing “proofs of concepts”)
- Enhanced resume with experiences and opportunities to apply academic concepts and principles
- Hands-on opportunity to work on unique projects and with equipment and technologies that may not be available at the sending institution
- With tested skills obtained from an internship program, the student increases his or her marketability to employers
- Internship is also an exposure to a diverse milieu. Various theatrical, film, dance, musical presentations happen regularly on campus. The campus is a favorite place for joggers and bikers. There are numerous events highlighting cutting-edge science and engineering. DChE interns are encouraged to participate in various campus events that may contribute to their total well-being.
- Internship at DChE can be a good place to start exploring thesis topics or problems. Interns who finish their stints at DChE Diliman are encouraged to continue working on their projects and propose to their thesis advisers that the projects be (or at least form part of) their theses as well. In such cases, DChE may provide at least technical assistance to such projects.
- DChE Diliman helps interns start figuring out where they should be professionally.
Benefits to DChE
- DChE can contribute to the training of students
- interns can provide fresh energy and perspective to the workplace
- interns can help explore untested approaches to solving problems
- opportunity to observe potential employees up-close